Recipe by Sooz Cooks
This is a recipe I adapted to fit our low(er) carb lifestyle but it is my non-low carb Dad's favorite soup ever! We like it spicy so I really use about a tablespoon of Frank's hot sauce. You can adjust it to your taste. Even the spinach "haters" in my house love this soup. The main thing that changes from a regular Toscano soup and this is that there are no potatoes. You can add them if you want a more "traditional" soup.
Top Review by Ang11002
I loved this soup! I think next time it could probably use about a lb of sausage but other than that its perfect! I didnt add any salt. Thanks so much for a low carb soup that is "soup"er tasty:)
- 2 lbs ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon frank's original hot sauce
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage in a 4-quart soup pot.
- Season with garlic powder and pepper.
- Add broth and spinach and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add cream and hot sauce and simmer a few minutes until cream is heated.
- Add salt to taste (I usually do add salt but some people may find the chicken broth has enough salt to suit their taste).
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese.