Recipe by nranger7
I was surprised to see that this recipe was not posted! Dessert tortes like this are very popular back home (Wisconsin). This recipe is from my aunt's family cookbook and appears to have originated from the Port Hotel in Port Washington, WI. Holidays just aren't complete without a poppy seed torte! I have not made this in a long time, but I'm pretty sure I've successfully substituted an 8 oz tub of Cool Whip for the whipping cream in the past. Please note that the recipe calls for the LARGE packages of instant pudding. The nuts I usually use for the crust are the finely chopped walnuts found at the store.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup poppy seed
- 1 pint whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- CRUST: Mix together the cracker crumbs, flour, butter and nuts.
- Pat into a 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Let cool.
- FILLING: Prepare pudding with milk.
- Add the poppy seeds.
- Whip and lightly sweeten the cream.
- Fold the cream into the pudding.
- Pour the mixture onto the graham cracker crust.