Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have an adventurous child who decided she needed some summer spending money so she started selling baked goods at our local Farmer's Market. This is one item she made last year. She copied the recipe out of a very old cookbook but never wrote down the title of the book. These really are wonderful. They would be perfect to serve at a ladies tea or any time you have guests staying with you.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm buttermilk (110-115 degrees)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poppy seed
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add 1 Tbs sugar; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add buttermilk, oil, salt, baking soda, 3 cups flour and remaining sugar.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place 30 minutes.
- Punch down.
- Turn onto floured surface; divide in 1/2.
- Roll each into 15x9" rectangle.
- FILLING: In small bowl beat cream cheese and butter.
- Add brown sugar, flour and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir in nuts and poppy seeds.
- Spread filling over rectangles.
- Roll up jelly-roll style; starting with long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Cut into 1" pieces.
- Place 2 " apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12-16 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over rolls.
- NOTE: Warm buttermilk often looks curdled.
Can I use chopped almons in the Icing. and Filling to .