2 hrs 30 mins
European sweet treat. Dough rising time is included in preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In 1 cup of milk that is about 130 degrees F, whisk in 4 Tbls of sugar and 1 package of rapid rise yeast. Set aside in a warm place, covered for a few minutes.
- 2Add only 3 cups of flour first.
- 3Mix in 1 tsp of baking powder, 3 Tbls sugar and 3 Tbls oil.
- 4Add the final cup of flour, if needed. If too much, add the 1-2 Tbls water. Work the dough so that it doesn't stick to the bowl.
- 5Allow dough to rest again, covered, in a warm place for at least one hour, or until doubled in size.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 7Divide dough in half. Roll out into a rectangle. Spread 1 can of the poppy seed filling to within one inch of the edges.
- 8Roll the dough, from the longer side. Transfer to an greased baking pan, seam side down.
- 9Beat one egg white and brush on to top of strudel.
- 10Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11Repeat steps with the other half of the dough and the other can of filling for the second strudel roll.
- 12If desired, you may ice the strudel by beating powdered sugar, some room temperature butter and a splash of milk.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poppy Seed Strudel / Roll (Kolach Od Maka)
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.5
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 37.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 9.2 g