Recipe by Dotty2
This is a poppy seed square with a twist. A cake like base with the topping of a nanaimo bar. This square is totally addictive,but not as sweet as a nanaimo bar. It will become a regular on your dainty tray. I have been making this for years and it is our favorite. Get it into the freezer quick or you will pick at it until it all gone.
Top Review by jorgydee
Made this for my Christmas dainty trays. It was a hit. Only baked base for 35 mins. Omited the opts. and didn't add the 3 extra tbsps. of poppy seeds. Will be going on my dainty tray next year.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed, plus 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped glaces cherries
- walnuts or cherries can be gently folded into the batter after adding the beaten egg white
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar.
- Add oil, milk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- If adding the cherries or nuts they can be folded in now.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x13 cake pan.
- Bake at 325F 35-40 minutes ( until tester comes out clean).
- cream butter.
- Combine milk with custard powder and add to butter.
- Mix in icing sugar. ( add a bit more milk if you need to).
- Spread over cooled base.
- Let set in fridge for about 30 minutes then add glaze.
- Melt chocolate and butter ( I usually do this step in the microwave) and spread over filling.
- Refridgerate, then cut into squares.
- This Square can be frozen.
- Prep time is approximate.