Recipe by Bobbie
What is better than fresh bread from the oven! These go with just about any meal you might prepare.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 3⁄4-4 cups all-purpose flour
- butter, melted
- poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the 1 teaspoon sugar, let stand for 5 minutes.
- Beat in milk, shortening, salt, egg and remaining sugar. Add enough flour to form soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 18 portions, shape into balls. Place in greased muffin cups.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush tops with butter; sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 375 for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to wire racks.
- (Cooking time includes rising times).