Recipe by hcopeland
This is a recipe for poppy seed roll my sister got out of a cookbook. She has made it and it was good. For the poppy seed roll I remember just opening a can of poppy seed filling for cookies This is the complete recipe if you cannot find the filling or want to vary it a little.
Top Review by M&Mers
Made this for my Ukrainian FIL for his birthday party...well, the bread part, not the filling. (Needed something quick so I made up a more simple poppyseed filling). The bread part tastes like the Ukrainian Easter Bread called 'Paska', so if you like that, you'll like this bread too! FIL LOVED it! Thanks, hc! M&Mers
- 4 cups flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1 cup poppy seed, ground
- 1 cup dates, pitted, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, beaten (with the milk)
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine: 1 1/2 cup flour and yeast in large mixing bowl.
- Place milk, butter, sugar and salt in heavy saucepan over low heat and heat until warm (120-130°F).
- Gradually add to flour mixture, beating at low speed until well blended. Beat in eggs.
- Add 1/2 cup flour and lemon peel; beat at high speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in as much remaining flour as possible with wooden spoon to make soft dough.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and knead in as much remaining flour as necessary to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Continue kneading about 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl and turn to coat entire surface. Cover with clean towel and let rise in warm, draft-free place about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Filling: Place poppy seed, dates, almonds, currants, orange peel, sugar and flour in bowl; toss until well coated.
- Melt butter in medium-size saucepan over low heat. Beat cream and egg together with fork until blended.
- Stir into saucepan with wire whisk until blended.
- Add poppy seed mixture and stir until well combined. Cook over low heat 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Grease large cookie sheet. Punch down dough.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 14x16-inch rectangle. Spread poppy seed mixture evenly over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Starting at short end, roll up dough, jelly-roll style, to center of rectangle. Turn dough around and roll up other short side so rolls meet in middle. Lightly pinch rolls together to seal.
- Carefully lift roll and place, seam side down, on prepared cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place about 40 to 50 minutes, or until almost doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush glaze over roll.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack.