Recipe by bayousong
This is has a wonderful flavor and is perfect for a cold day. Serve the gravy over mashed potatoes - heaven! I found this recipe in a magazine about 40 years ago and have been making it ever since.
- 5 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 (15 ounce) jar small onion
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: Do not use cocktail onions in this recipe.
- Use regular canned onions.
- Fresh do not work as well - the flavor is just not as good.
- Salt and pepper roast well.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven and brown roast.
- Remove from pan and add flour.
- When brown add about 4 cups water, the pot roast and poppy seeds.
- Simmer for about 2 1/2 hours, adding more water if needed.
- Add drained carrots and drained onions and simmer until carrots are done.
- Add sour cream and simmer for another minute or two.
- If the gravy needs thickening, add some flour mixed in water and cook another minute or until the flour is done.