Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a combination of recipes that I've found. If you can't find ground poppyseeds, use a spice mill or coffee grinder with whole poppyseeds.
- 1 cup ground poppy seed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon soft butter
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- baked pie shell
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In the top of a double boiler, over medium heat, mix the poppyseeds, milk and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes over boiling water.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until creamy in a bowl.
- Temper the egg yolks by stirring in some of the hot mixture, then add the egg yolks into the hot mixture stirring so that the egg yolks don't cook (This is very important because you don't want scrambled eggs here) Mix the sugar& cornstarch together, then add them, the butter and cream to the hot mixture.
- Pour into the pre-baked pie shell.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with beaters or whip attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and increase mixer speed to medium-high.
- Beat until the egg whites form firm peaks, then add the sugar mixture, gradually and slowly.
- Add the vanilla.
- Beat the whites until thick and glossy, about 30 seconds longer.
- Carefully spread the meringue over the filling, being sure to cover the pie entirely.
- Bringing the meringue to the edges will ensure that the filling is"sealed".
- Bake the pie in a 400-degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly brown.
Great pie! I used half and half in place of milk to cook the poppy seeds in, this pie set wonderful, I might increase the sugar next time, it was not quite sweet enough for my DH! thanks for sharing Mystergirl!...Kitten:)