This is a combination of recipes that I've found. If you can't find ground poppyseeds, use a spice mill or coffee grinder with whole poppyseeds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2In the top of a double boiler, over medium heat, mix the poppyseeds, milk and salt.
- 3Cook for 5 minutes over boiling water.
- 4Remove from heat.
- 5Beat egg yolks until creamy in a bowl.
- 6Temper the egg yolks by stirring in some of the hot mixture, then add the egg yolks into the hot mixture stirring so that the egg yolks don't cook (This is very important because you don't want scrambled eggs here) Mix the sugar& cornstarch together, then add them, the butter and cream to the hot mixture.
- 7Pour into the pre-baked pie shell.
- 8In a small bowl, combine the sugars.
- 9In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with beaters or whip attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
- 10Add the cream of tartar and increase mixer speed to medium-high.
- 11Beat until the egg whites form firm peaks, then add the sugar mixture, gradually and slowly.
- 12Add the vanilla.
- 13Beat the whites until thick and glossy, about 30 seconds longer.
- 14Carefully spread the meringue over the filling, being sure to cover the pie entirely.
- 15Bringing the meringue to the edges will ensure that the filling is"sealed".
- 16Bake the pie in a 400-degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly brown.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poppy Seed Pie
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.4
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 91.0 mg
- Sodium 86.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 27.9 g
- Protein 8.2 g