Recipe by Steve P.
A nice moderately sweet yeast Bread/coffee cake. Can be made with poppy seeds or ground nuts. Nice for breakfast in the morning with coffee or a no too sweet dessert.
- 8 cups flour
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 5 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of warm milk
- 1 lb poppy seeds or 1 lb ground nuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk, hot
- 1 fresh lemon rind
- raisins, for sprinkling on top (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all filling ingredients (except raisins) and beat well.
- Set aside.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm milk.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt and eggs.
- Add remainder of the milk, butter and yeast mixture.
- Beat until elastic.
- Sprinkle top with a little flour and cover with a cloth.
- Let stand in a warm place until double in size.
- Punch down.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces.
- Put on floured board and roll out into a rectangle.
- Spread with cooled filling and sprinkle with raisins.
- Roll like a jelly roll.
- Place in greased pan and let stand to rise again.
- Brush top with margarine or butter bake for 45-60 minutes in 350 degree oven.