Recipe by dojemi
This is one of my adopted recipes that I have not made yet.
Top Review by Anu_N
This was really nice, if a bit on the dense side. I substituted the egg with 1/2 mashed banana and 1/2 tsp baking powder. I didn't change anything else, but only omitted the melted butter coating. This took about 90 minutes of baking in my really slow oven. The buttermilk taste is very distinct, but I was wondering where the poppy seeds went! I've never made bread with poppy seeds so I'm unsure what sort of flavour it's supposed to lend, because I couldn't distinguish any "unusual" flavour. This tastes fantastic the next day! All the flavours just seem to settle right together!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup honey, liquid
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, oatmeal, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds.
- In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, honey and egg.
- Add all at once to dry ingredients; mix quickly, just until combined.
- Spoon batter into greased 8 x 4 in (1.5L) loaf pan.
- Brush top with melted butter.
- Bake in 350F (180C) oven 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes in pan.
- Turn out onto wire rack.