Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe makes 12 moist lemon poppy seed cupcakes--freeze well.
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- In small pan, combine poppy seeds and milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lime 12 muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat butter till light and fluffy with mixer on high speed. Beat in sugar till light and fluffy.
- Lower speed to medium, beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in poppy seed mixture, orange and lemon zest and vanilla.
- Lower speed to low, beat in flour alternately with orange and lemon juices, just till blended.
- Spoon batter into paper lined tins.
- Bake till tops are gold and springy when lightly pressed with fingertip, about 20 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes in muffin tins on rack.
- Remove to cool completely.