Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Penzeys Spices Christmas 2008 magazine. They say "These cookies are rich and buttery. The poppy seeds add a nice texture and flavor". I haven't made these but I want the recipe in my cookbook so I'm posting it. The picture shows the unbaked cookie "logs" and finished cookies edged in red and green colored sugar. The middle of the cookies looks richly dotted with poppy seeds. Prep time does not include a few hours chilling time.
- Cream the butter
- Add the sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix well
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, almonds, poppy seeds and salt.
- Gradually add the to the butter mixture and beat well.
- Divide the dough in half and roll into logs.
- Roll the logs in colored sugar if desired.
- Wrap in wax paper and chill for a few hours.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Slice the logs about 1/4 inch thick and bake at 325 for about 12 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
This recipe has been added to our Christmas cookie recipes. Very good. Freezes well - if you can keep them that long. What we like is that they are not overly sweet. We love them.
This is my family's favorite Christmas cookie! Pretty and delicious.