Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A perfect ending to serve to guests. Prep time does not include soaking the poppy seeds and preparing the frosting. Make certain to frost the cake just prior to serving.
- 118.29 ml poppy seed
- 236.59 ml boiling water
- 473.18 ml flour
- 414.03 ml sugar (can use less sugar if desired)
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml oil (not olive oil)
- 12.32 ml vanilla
- 7 eggs, seperated
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml cream of tartar
CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM ICING
- 473.19 ml whipping cream
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml vanilla
- 44.37 ml unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 10-inch ungreased tube pan.
- In a small bowl, soak the poppy seeds in boiling water for about 25-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a "well" in the middle, and add/pour in the oil, poppy seeds (with water) vanilla, egg yolks and baking soda.
- Beat until smooth (about 5 minutes).
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture over the egg whites in the bowl; GENTLY fold to combine (do not beat).
- Pour the batter into the tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cake tests done.
- Invert pan to cool completely before icing.
- For icing: whip cream.
- Add in the sugar, vanilla and cocoa; beat/blend until combined.
- **NOTE** Store the whipped cream icing in the fridge, and frost the cake JUST before serving.