Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A perfect ending to serve to guests. Prep time does not include soaking the poppy seeds and preparing the frosting. Make certain to frost the cake just prior to serving.
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar (can use less sugar if desired)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup oil (not olive oil)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 7 eggs, seperated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM ICING
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 10-inch ungreased tube pan.
- In a small bowl, soak the poppy seeds in boiling water for about 25-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a "well" in the middle, and add/pour in the oil, poppy seeds (with water) vanilla, egg yolks and baking soda.
- Beat until smooth (about 5 minutes).
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture over the egg whites in the bowl; GENTLY fold to combine (do not beat).
- Pour the batter into the tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cake tests done.
- Invert pan to cool completely before icing.
- For icing: whip cream.
- Add in the sugar, vanilla and cocoa; beat/blend until combined.
- **NOTE** Store the whipped cream icing in the fridge, and frost the cake JUST before serving.