1 hr 15 mins
A perfect ending to serve to guests. Prep time does not include soaking the poppy seeds and preparing the frosting. Make certain to frost the cake just prior to serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar (can use less sugar if desired)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil (not olive oil)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 7 eggs, seperated
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM ICING
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Prepare a 10-inch ungreased tube pan.
- 3In a small bowl, soak the poppy seeds in boiling water for about 25-30 minutes.
- 4In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- 5Make a "well" in the middle, and add/pour in the oil, poppy seeds (with water) vanilla, egg yolks and baking soda.
- 6Beat until smooth (about 5 minutes).
- 7In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 8Pour the egg yolk mixture over the egg whites in the bowl; GENTLY fold to combine (do not beat).
- 9Pour the batter into the tube pan.
- 10Bake for 1 hour or until cake tests done.
- 11Invert pan to cool completely before icing.
- 12For icing: whip cream.
- 13Add in the sugar, vanilla and cocoa; beat/blend until combined.
- 14**NOTE** Store the whipped cream icing in the fridge, and frost the cake JUST before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poppy Seed Chiffon Cake With Chocolate Whipped Cream Icing
Serving Size: 1 (2017 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6300.1
- Calories from Fat 3204
- Total Fat 356.0 g
- Saturated Fat 141.8 g
- Cholesterol 2132.6 mg
- Sodium 4432.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 691.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.2 g
- Sugars 468.0 g
- Protein 95.5 g