Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a great cake for company, very impressive.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Soak poppy seeds in 1C boiling water, cool.
- Beat egg whites w/cream of tartar until stiff.
- sift together dry ingredients.
- make a well in dry ingred.
- add canola oil, egg yolks, vanilla and poppy seed mixture Beat until smooth.
- Fold mixture into egg whites, do NOT stir.
- Pour into ungreased tube pan.
- Bake at 350 Degrees for 1-1 1/4 Hour.
- Frost w/whipping cream or cream cheese frosting.
Tried this tonight, and it's wonderful. Light, springy, very simple, baked up beautifully. My only issue is it stuck in my non-stick tube pan.. should have used aluminum or a little bit of shortening in the bottom. Will make it again.
Can't get much better than this! Very moist, just sweet enough, and light and fluffy. I noticed this is my grandma's same recipe and people flock to the church bake sale just to buy her baked goods, and this one is in the batch. We never use frosting. So good w/o it! A "must-have" recipe. Freezes well too!
Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I lost mine, and this is it. A wonderful cake, moist and yummy, you can't go wrong putting this on the table