Recipe by Rhonda *J*
Posted as a request. From a "Company's Coming" Cakes cookbook. Prep time is a guess and doesn't include the 2 hr. standing time to soak the poppy seeds.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 7 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- 7 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wash angel food tube pan in hot soapy water to ensure it is totally grease free.
- Combine milk and poppy seeds in small bowl and let stand for 2 hours.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into medium mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add next 4 ingredients to well in order given.
- Add poppy seed mixture to well. Set aside. DON'T beat yet.
- In large mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar until very stiff.
- Using same beaters beat egg yolk-flour mixture until smooth and light.
- Pour 1/4 at a time over beaten egg whites folding in with rubber spatula until all traces of flour disappear. DO NOT stir.
- Pour into ungreased 10 inch angel food tube pan.
- Bake in oven for 55 minutes.
- Increase heat to 350 degrees and bake 10-15 minutes more until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.
- Invert pan to cool.
- Some suggested frostings are Caramel, Seafoam or a Vanilla Glaze.