Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
I cannot remember for sure where this recipe came from, however it may have been a Southern Living Magazine. It is fast easy and always pleases the family. A nice do ahead meal that I have used for buffets or just having friends over for a quick get together.
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup Ritz cracker, crushed
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- In large pot, place chicken breast. Cover with water until covered by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, and simmer low for 20minutes. Drain and cool.
- When chicken is cool, shred or cut chicken into small pieces.
- In a bowl combine green onions, soup, sour cream, sherry, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- In another bowl combine crushed crackers, poppy seeds and butter. Mix well.
- In a greased casserole dish, lay chicken in bottom layer. Next pour soup mixture over top as next layer. Top casserole with cracker mixture.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
- (For do ahead, assemble with all but cracker mixture. Top with cracker mixture before baking. May be made 24 hours in advance and refrigerated. Bring to room temp before baking).
Yummy! Definitely better than those usual poppy seed chicken recipes that don't contain onions or garlic. I added extra green onions but that's all I changed. This is a perfect way to use leftover chicken (or turkey). Thanx for sharing!