Recipe by The Natural Mommy
This recipe came from TammysRecipes.com. I just made it gluten free. The credit for the amazing flavor goes to her. It's a creamy chicken and asparagus casserole with rice.
For the cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
For the casserole
- 4 cups fresh asparagus (trim and cut into inch-long pieces)
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice (4 1/2c cooked rice)
- 5 cups cooked chicken, cubed, loosely packed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 cup Rice Chex, crumbs (blend or process 2 cups rice chex)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- (optional: substitute homemade cream of chicken soup with (2) 15oz cans of a store-bought gluten-free variety).
- In a large stock pot, whisk together the cold ingredients for the cream of chicken soup.
- After corn starch is dissolved, bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for a minute or two until thick. Makes 3 cups.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Saute asparagus and onion in oil until crisp-tender.
- Grease a 9x13" baking dish. Spread cooked rice in the bottom. Top with the cooked asparagus.
- Using the same stock pot as the finished cream of chicken soup, add the chicken, milk, yogurt, and poppy seeds to the soup. Pour evenly over the asparagus and rice.
- Melt 2 tbs of butter, add to 1c rice chex crumbs, sprinkle over top of chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, ad 350 for 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.