Recipe by Chabear01
Posted for the Jewish/Kosher ZWT II 2006. This Kosher recipe is usually for Purim.
- 1 cup poppy seed (this is the mohn)
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the poopy seeds serveral times and rain overnight in a cheesecloth bag or a cloth-lined sieve.
- In a saucepan, combine the honeu, sugar, and ginger. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Stir in the poppy seeds and the chopped nuts. Return to the heat and bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly to prevent the honey from scorching. Cook for about 10-12 minutes, until a drop of mixture forms a small ball when dropped into cold water.
- Spread the mixture on a wet pastry board or baking sheet. With the back of a spoon moistened with cold wine, flatten to the disired thickness, about 1/4 inch, when slightly cool and hardened, cut into diamond shapes. When cooled completely, use a spatula to lift the candies off the board.