Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
Found in a collection of Danish recipes online. Posted for ZWT 3, Scandinavia. Note: Poppy seeds need to be soaked overnight.
Top Review by lightawake
thank you~!! id lost my favourite poppy seed cake recipe and i think this is basically it! triedit today, and it was pretty much the cake i love! i did the glaze with drambuie, which was yum. go danish recipes^^
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup soft butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts (ground)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak poopy seeds in the milk and vanilla overnight.
- Cream butter until soft. Add the sugar gradually and cream well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Blend the flour and poppy-seed mixtures alternately into the creamed butter mix. Blend well.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Pour the batter into 2 buttered and lightly floured 8" layer cake tines, and bake 30 minutes in a preheated 350º oven.
- Let cool a little in the pans before turning out onto racks.
- If you wish you can cut each layer in half and spread filling between four layers. Whichever you choose to do, here's a suggestion for a mouth-watering between-the-layers spread:
- Beat the egg yolks until frothy. Mix sugar, cornstarch, milk and salt with the beaten yolks and cook in the top of a double boiler over hot water about 5 minutes.
- Stir constantly to keep the mixture from scorching.
- Grind nuts and add to cooked mixture with vanilla.
- Mix well, and spread between layers.
- Top the cake as follows:
- Stir the sugar with the rum until smooth. Add the water and beat well.
- Ice the sides and top of the cake. Sprinkle the ground nuts over the top.