Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From a Penzey's free recipe card...
Make and share this Poppy Seed Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 -3 drops yellow food coloring
- Mix poppy seeds with 2 T. milk and vanilla sugar and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes. Bring butter to room temperature. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar with a mixer at medium high speed. Add eggs and extracts, mix well. Add poppy seed mixture, mix on low speed.
- Sift flour with baking soda and salt, and add half of this mixture at a time to the mixer, alternating with the cup of milk. Beat until batter is smooth, scaping down sides of bowl.
- Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13" glass pan or 2 9" round cake pans. Bake until golden and springy, 20-25 minutes for cake layers, or 35-40 minutes for the 9 x 13" pan. Let cool before frosting.
- Beat the room temperature butter and sweetened condensed milk together until smooth. Add extracts and food coloring, then add powdered sugar a cup at a time, beating until smooth. The frosting should be pretty stiff. Makes enough for a layer cake, make half the recipe for the sheet cake.
Made the layer cake version with the frosting for work morning tea. Found the cake to be flavourful, moist and the frosting was to.die.for! I used soy condensed milk and egg replacer with no problems. Adding this to my Keeper file! Made for ZWT 7 (Jacques Kitchen Challenge)
I love poppy seeds and am always looking for ways to use them. This was a very nice, plain cake - which is exactly what I wanted, and my kids enjoyed with their milk. I decided to forego the icing and just sprinkled lightly with icing sugar.
Delicious! Thank you Michelle for a terrific coffee cake. Made for ZWT, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.