Recipe by vlynn
Best poppy seed cake in my opinion. From my church cookbook.
Top Review by Oleaceae
I halved the recipe and it was fine in a single loaf pan (though, yes, it took longer than stated in the original recipe). I also substituted hazlenut syrup (it's all I had!) in place of the almond and it worked surprisingly well!
The cake was dense and moist and it's one of the better poppy seed cake recipes I've tried! I would definitely add more poppy seeds, but that's just me. :D Thanks for posting!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄8 cups oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond flavoring
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice (I have used lemon juice and worked fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix and blend all ingredients 2 minutes.
- Bake in a greased & floured bundt pan or 2 large loaf pans.
- Bake 40-50 minutes at 325°F (Chef Note: I discovered it took somewhat longer to bake. Guess it depends on oven.).
- For Glaze: In small saucepan over medium heat, stir glaze ingredients together until sugar is melted. Pour over cake.