Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from allrecipes.com. It's a goodie.
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- Preliminary: Soak poppy seeds in buttermilk overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, 175 degrees C, grease a 10 inch bundt pan. Mix together cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar. Sprinkle some of the sugar evenly over greased pan to form a thin sugary crust over the cake. Set aside remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cream butter and 1 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Sift flour, salt and soda together. Add flour to butter mixture alternating with poppy seed mixture and thoroughly blend.
- Pour batter into prepared pan in three goes, sprinkling 1/3 of the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture between each pouring (you should get three layers if your batter is spread thinly enough).
- Bake at 350 degrees F, 175 degrees C, for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack and let cool 1 hour.