Recipe by Sharon123
These look so pretty, you will be glad you made them! Prep time includes rising time.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Sharon this is a wonderful recipe for bowknots! I did make a few changes though, I used 3/4 cup water and 1 cup buttermilk and increased the yeast to 1 tablespoon. Thanks hon!...Kitten:)
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (sometimes I'll substitute 1/3 whole wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, at room tempertature
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten,for glaze
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, and electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, or a food processor, sprinkle the yeast over the water, stir, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Add 4 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt, butter, and buttermilk to the yeast mixture, and mix thoroughly.
- On a lightly floured board or in the mixer or food processor, knead the dough until smooth and elastic- about 4 minutes by hand, 2 minutes in the mixer, or 30 seconds in the processor.
- Add more flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- This is more malleable and softer than a bread dough.
- Transfer the dough to a large, lightly greased bowl, turn to coat with the grease, and cover with a clean dry towel.
- Let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in bulk- about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and knead it on a lightly floured surface for 2 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to a 24"x6"x1/2" rectangle, then cut into 6"x1"x1/2" strips.
- Gently tie each strip into a bowknot by slipping one end over, under, then back over the other.
- Lay the roll 2 inches apart on a lightly oiled baking sheet; cover with a clean dry towel.
- Place in a warm, draft-free spot until the rolls have doubled in bulk-about 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375*.
- Brush the tops with the egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake on the middle shelf fo the oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in a knot comes out clean- 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheet, then serve.
- Makes 24 rolls.