Recipe by Trinkets
The last time I visited Bath, England, I had these to-die-for-don't-care-how-many-calories-are-in-here-popovers! I searched for the recipe and found it in Bon Appetit, 2004. Hope you like these as much as I do!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated gruyere cheese (about 6 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place one 12-cup popover or muffin pan and one 6-cup popover or muffin pan in oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk flour and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- Heat milk in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until very warm, about 125°F.
- Whisk eggs in large bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk warm milk into eggs.
- Gradually stir flour mixture into milk mixture just to blend (batter may still be slightly lumpy).
- Remove hot muffin pans from oven.
- Spray pans with nonstick spray.
- Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each of 16 muffin cups.
- Top each with 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese.
- Bake until puffed and deep brown, about 40 minutes.
- Remove popovers from pan.
- Serve hot!