Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This Pre-1940's recipe included in my “Grandma’s Wartime Edition Cookbook”
Make and share this Popovers Pre-1940's recipe from Food.com.
- Mix salt and flour, add 1/2 the milk until smooth.
- Add remaining 1/2 of the milk, well beaten egg and shortening.
- Beat 2 minutes with egg beater.
- Turn into hot greased iron gem pans and bake about 35 minutes in hot oven 450°F.
- Then reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake about 15 minutes longer.
- Popovers can also be made using 1/3 cup whole-wheat and 2/3 cup white flour.
These are the popovers I grew up with (no, I'M not pre-1940s!). Absolutely delicious. Thanks for posting!