Comfort food with a egg-rich batter that puffs as it bakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb uncooked ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 1/4 ounces sliced pepperoni, halved
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (6 ounce) package thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a large skillet cook ground meat, onion, and sweet pepper until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat.
- 2Stir in pizza sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, fennel seeds, oregano and basil.
- 3Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- 4Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Meanwhile, for topping: In a small bowl combine eggs, milk and oil.
- 6Beat with an electric mixer on medium-speed for 1 minute.
- 7Add flour; beat about 1 minute more or until smooth.
- 8Preheat oven to 400*.
- 9Grease the sides of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon meat mixture into prepared dish.
- 10Arrange mozzarella cheese over meat mixture.
- 11Pour topping over mozzarella cheese, covering completely.
- 12Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 13Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is puffed and golden brown.
- 14Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Popover Pizza Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.7
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 113.3 mg
- Sodium 636.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 24.9 g