Recipe by carolinafan
Comfort food with a egg-rich batter that puffs as it bakes.
Top Review by katharinefarley
This was a nice change from regular pizza. I used whole wheat flour in the topping to make it a bit healthier. I don't think it puffed up as well, but was still good. Next time I might spice it up with red chili powder or add jalepeno juice.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb uncooked ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 1⁄4 ounces sliced pepperoni, halved
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (6 ounce) packagethinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook ground meat, onion, and sweet pepper until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat.
- Stir in pizza sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, fennel seeds, oregano and basil.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for topping: In a small bowl combine eggs, milk and oil.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium-speed for 1 minute.
- Add flour; beat about 1 minute more or until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Grease the sides of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon meat mixture into prepared dish.
- Arrange mozzarella cheese over meat mixture.
- Pour topping over mozzarella cheese, covering completely.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is puffed and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.