Family friendly recipe! If making it only for adults, I'd spice it up a bit.....but for families, this is excellent. Throw it together, put it in the oven, relax a bit and dinner is ready! Serve with a salad to get some green veggies in!
- 1⁄3 lb ground beef, lean
- 1⁄3 lb Italian sausage (sweet or hot, depending on your tolerance)
- 1⁄3 lb pepperoni, cut into quarters
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup chablis or 1⁄3 cup other dry white wine
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Brown the ground beef, italian sausage, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until meat crumbles. Add the pepperoni and cook an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain the meat mixture, discarding the drippings. Return the meat mixture to the skillet.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and wine; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon into a lightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and set aside.
- Combine the milk, eggs, and oil in a medium bowl, beating with a wire whisk until blended. Gradually add the flour, beating until smooth. Pour the batter over the meat mixture in the baking dish; sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cut into squares and serve immediately.
Such an interesting idea....such a great dish!
I used lean minced beef and hot Italian sausage ( minus the casings) , and didn't have to drain a thing.
I also used my favourite homemade pasta sauce , which is without mushrooms, I was going to add some, but as I'm the only one in the family who doesn't moan when they eat them, I decided against it.
DH, myself and DD (5) loved it, DS (7) wasn't so keen, but then he doesn't like anything these days, so we took no notice of him!
This was a really quick, simple and great tasting dish, that ticked a big fat comfort food box for me....thanks breezermom....I'm hanging on to this one!
Made for PRMR.
Succes!! The kids just loved this dish and were intrigued how it was opposite a regular pizza. I wanted to lighten it up a a bit and therefore only used ground turkey. It worked well but I am sure you get more of the real pizza flavour if you add pepperoni and sausage as well. I also added double garlic and next time I will add even more, salt and pepper. I only used 1 tsp oil in the bread portion which was fine. I will definitely be making this again - it is a true kid friendly dish!
This was a hit with us, too! I used chicken Italian sausage, then in lieu of the beef and pepperoni I added sliced mushrooms and bell peppers. My son was quite taken with our "upside down pizza", so I would definitely call this toddler friendly! I especially liked the special flavor added by the wine; it really kicked the recipe up a notch for me. Thanks for posting, breezermom--I know we'll make this again! Made for 123 Hits tag.