Family friendly recipe! If making it only for adults, I'd spice it up a bit.....but for families, this is excellent. Throw it together, put it in the oven, relax a bit and dinner is ready! Serve with a salad to get some green veggies in!
- 1⁄3 lb ground beef, lean
- 1⁄3 lb Italian sausage (sweet or hot, depending on your tolerance)
- 1⁄3 lb pepperoni, cut into quarters
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup chablis or 1⁄3 cup other dry white wine
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Brown the ground beef, italian sausage, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until meat crumbles. Add the pepperoni and cook an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain the meat mixture, discarding the drippings. Return the meat mixture to the skillet.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and wine; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon into a lightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and set aside.
- Combine the milk, eggs, and oil in a medium bowl, beating with a wire whisk until blended. Gradually add the flour, beating until smooth. Pour the batter over the meat mixture in the baking dish; sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cut into squares and serve immediately.