Recipe by That is Dr House to you
They have no dipping sauce and they take about an hour to prepare. This is not the shrimp version but the tofu version. Cooking is total time including pressing tofu which is a MUST in this recipe. You are using waterpacked or cotton tofu. From Didi Emmons
- 16 ounces water-packed firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- kosher salt
- 4 large shallots, minced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs jicama, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dark miso
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 18 boston lettuce leaves or 18 red leaf lettuce
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- hoisin sauce
- Asian chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the jicama before grating ok? You are going to use 18 Popiah skins for this recipe. [Zaar doesn't like that ingredient soo -- ].
- Popiah skins are very thin crepelike sping roll wrappers. IF you cannot find them use mu-shu pancakes instead. These are soft wheat flour wrappers traditionally used for Chinese dishes. There is also a recipe on zaar. NOTE it is NOT a Vegan wrapper. If you are making it Vegan search for another wrapper. The spring roll wrapper might work that is on zaar. However I won't promise it will.
- Press tofu. Cut into 1/4 inch cubes. In large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over med high. Add tofu and salt liberally. Fry until it forms dark golden crust on bottom then flip and repeat on other side. Drain on paper towels. IF you have not drained the tofu properly it will NOT brown.
- In same skillet heat rest of oil over medium. Add shallots and stir fry for 3 minutes. Add jicama and stir fry until it starts to become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Stir in miso and sugar cooking for a minute. Season with salt, remove from heat. Transfer to bowl.
- Place a skin on work surface. Pile a bit of ingredient across center leaving 1 in border on both sides. Do this in this order: Jicama, tofu, lettuce, peanuts, bean sprouts. Dot with hoisin and chili sauce.
- Roll up pancake or skin, fold sides in as you roll. Taste this one to check amounts of Hoisin and chili sauces and adjust if needed. You can decorate with squiggles of Asian Chili sauce. serve.
- Make up to 6 hours ahead and store in airtight container in fridge. Omit the bean sprouts and lettuce to keep from getting soggy if you are making ahead.
- Please note if you are keeping Vegan there are some Dry Roasted Peanuts that are NOT Vegan. Make sure your brand is.