Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is not a white lasagna, you make a tomato sauce to go with it. But it doesn't have meat in the sauce. I've listed mushrooms as optional....it wasn't in the original recipe, but I like to add them to my sauce.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried whole
- 1 (8 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped, thawed, and drained (may use fresh, just cook and drain it well before adding)
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (8 oz)
- Saute the onion, garlic, and mushrooms (if using) in olive oil in a large skillet until tender. Add the tomatoes and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Set the sauce aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Drain well, and set aside.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, spinach, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, salt, and pepper; stir well and set aside.
- Grease a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. spread 1 1/3 cups of the tomato sauce into the dish. Layer one third of the lasagna noodles, 1/2 of the spinach mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese in the order listed. Top with 1 1/3 cups of tomato mixture, one third of the lasagna noodles, and the remaining half of the spinach mixture. top with the remaining one third lasagna noodles, 1 1/3 cups tomato mixture, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and 1 cup mozzarella.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
this was a very good dish. I like a lot of spices and herbs. I always add more no matter what the recipe call for. just added a little more. but the dish was awesome. thanks
This lasagna did not require a lot of chopping, which sometimes is the case with other vegetarian-friendly lasagnas, which I appreciated. This came together easily and the directions were spot on. We thought this was good, though it seemed to be missing something. Maybe more herbs/spices? Nonetheless, it was enjoyed. Made for Spring 2013 Photo Tag.