Recipe by Sonic98
Updating Recipe 249927.I talked to someone who worked at Popeye's who said they season chicken, egg wash it, season it again, dip it in unseasoned flour, and fry it Have not gotten it to come out right that way yet.I never got to ask if the chicken is pre-marinated.Some of the changes were also inspired by a series called "Pau's Fried Chicken" I saw on YouTube.. I might also check out Todd Wilbur's clone and compare.
- 1 chicken
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup garlic salt
- 1 egg
- 1 quart water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine Baking Powder, Cornstarch, and 2.5 cups of flour as your dry breading.
- Add Cayenne, Garlic Salt, and 1.5 cups of flour to egg in bowl
- Whisk in water until it has the consistency of a light pancake batter.
- Heat oil to around 350 or 355 in deep fryer, dutch oven, or large pot.
- Dip Chicken in wet batter.
- Dredge with dry mixture.
- Fry 12-15 minutes or based on your usual time frame.
- Give some feedback if you find some useful alterations, i.e. overnight marinating in the garlic salt/cayenne instead of in wetter bater, different amount of cornstarch, a seasoning to add, exact amount of water for batter, using wet batter as a marinade instead like you would with buttermilk, or crab boil or cajun seasoning in the wet batter instead.