1/8 Photos of Popeye's Favorite Muscle Booster Sandwich-Spinach, Chicken
To say this is an Italian fusion sandwich would be stretching it but to say that it is full of flavor and healthy is true.. Makes a great lunch sandwich with a bowl of soup on the side.for 4 or as a dinner main dish for two perhaps served with onion rings and oven fries. I like to use Herb Focaccia (home made or bought) but in a pinch regular sandwich buns will do. Add whatever condiments you like I have suggested sliced sweet onion, tomato and cheese. If you are just trying to get your family to eat spinach cut it back to 5 oz.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness (separated into four 4 oz portions)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs (Panko are best)
- salt and pepper, for seasoning breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed, spin dried, stems removed and chopped or 1 (300 g) box frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed as dry as you can
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 -4 large portabella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 slices sweet onions (optional)
- 4 slices tomatoes (optional)
- 4 slices cheese (optional)
- 1 focaccia bread (approx 12 inches) or 2 small focaccia bread
- 1Beat the egg with the water.
- 2Dip prepared chicken breast in the egg then in the seasoned bread crumbs.
- 3Add 1 tbsp of oil to a large skillet, medium heat, pan fry the chicken for apprx 5 minutes each side or until golden.
- 4Add mushrooms for the last 5 minutes.
- 5Stir fry them so they get well browned on both sides.
- 6Meanwhile put 1 tbsp oil in another skillet over medium heat add garlic, saute 1 minute, add fresh spinach for 1-2 minutes or until it wilts or if using frozen heat it through.
- 7Add lemon and nutmeg.
- 8Keep spinach warm.
- 9Cut the Focaccia bread through the middle and toast the inside - Butter it if you wish.
- 10Place chicken on the bottom half, top with spinach and mushrooms - add any other condiments like sweet onion, tomato and cheese.
- 11If you are using cheese melt it a bit on the chicken before removing it from the pan.
- 12Put on the top half of the bread.
- 13Cut into 2 or 4 pieces.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Popeye's Favorite Muscle Booster Sandwich-Spinach, Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (800 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 634.2
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 237.4 mg
- Sodium 608.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 67.8 g