Prep 25 mins
Cook 18 mins
A clone of Popeye's Famous Fried Chicken! This was given to me by friend TheCOOYON on the Nola.Com recipe swap. He calls it his Sexy and Spicy Clone
- 1 frying chicken
- 1 (2 lb) bag all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 3 quarts water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup spicy crab boil powder can be used as the alternative to salt & ceyenne pepper.
- Mix egg, salt, and pepper (or crab boil powder) in large bowl.
- Add water and whisk. Get the batter to light pancake or english pancake batter consistency. This will be thick but runny.
- Soak the chicken in the wet batter for at least 18 minutes.
- Get your grease up to 375 degrees.
- Place your chicken in the flour.Shake and get them out the flour and into the grease pretty quick(do not let them sit in the flour long, it will make the crust like concrete). Change flour if it gets too clumpy.
- Cook until juices run clear.
I added 1 heaping Tablespoon of poultry seasoning 2nd time I made this recipe. Better with poultry seasoning but breading still lacks the crisp of Popeyes. Mighty tastey though with poultry seasoning added.
Has anyone actually had Popeye's Chicken that comes up with these recipes?