1/1 Photo of Popeyes Famous Biscuits (Copycat)
The Spice Guru's Note:
My reverse-engineered recipe for Popeyes' uniquely delicious biscuits.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavor seasoning (Butter Buds)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 cup hydrogenated palm oil or 1/8 cup cold coconut oil
- 1/8 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1PLACE oven rack in center position; PREHEAT oven to 450°F.
- 2PROCESS the DRY INGREDIENTS in a food processor until thoroughly combined (1 3/4 cups bread flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1 1/4 teaspoons granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon Butter Buds seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon Accent seasoning, 1/8 teaspoon white pepper).
- 3ADD 1/8 cup vegetable shortening plus 1/8 cup cold solidified coconut oil by tablespoonfuls to the dry ingredients in food processor; PROCESS mixture until fine and crumbly.
- 4WHISK 3/4 cup buttermilk with 1 egg white in a 2-cup pour-spout measuring cup; POUR mixture through the feeder on food processor while running; PROCESS dough until it comes together and blades begin to slow down.
- 5TRANSFER dough mixture onto a generously floured board; ROLL dough very thinly using a rolling pin, using as few passes as possible over dough; RE-FLOUR board (and re-flour whenever needed to prevent dough from sticking); FOLD in half, then into half again; ROLL dough very thinly in the same previous manner; REPEAT rolling and folding no more than 3 times, to insure flakiness without over-working dough; ROLL dough into a rough ball.
- 6ROLL dough with rolling pin until it is between 1/2" - 3/4" thick; CUT into rounds using a biscuit cutter or small drinking glass, re-piecing and re-using scraps.
- 7ARRANGE biscuit dough rounds on a baking sheet.
- 8MELT approximately 2 tablespoons margarine or butter; STIR in 1 pinch salt and 1 pinch granulated sugar; BRUSH tops of each baked biscuit evenly with this BASTE (biscuits may be re-basted after baking if desired).
- 9BAKE biscuits on the center rack at 450°F between 10-13 minutes, or until golden brown (oven temperatures vary, so have oven light on to keep an eye on them).
- 10SERVE hot and ENJOY.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Popeyes Famous Biscuits (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.6
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.8 mg
- Sodium 822.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: