Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Popeye's is a Louisiana-based fried chicken restaurant chain. This recipe is from America's Most Wanted Recipes - Copycat Versions of Everyone's Best-Loved Food. For a serious bayou experience, add more Cajun seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup diced green onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a skillet, combine the ground beef and green pepper and cook over medium-high heat until the beef loses its pink color and the pepper is soft.
- Pour off the excess fat and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the remaining ingredients, then stir and cook together until the ground beef is completely cooked and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 35 minutes.
Oh yes, we liked this! I had a houseful of young people, so this was a good dish to serve, goes a long way, and whats not to like! I had to use ground chicken (all I had), and so the colour contrast wasn't marvellous, I was busy sticking to recipe, but another time I would put in a cup each of frozen peas and frozen corn, which I think would just turn this into a fabulous one-dish meal! I did also add a chicken stock cube to this, I just felt it needed a little seasoning, and I am generally not a salt lover. Could have been because I was using chicken rather than beef, though. Thank you, mailbelle, a very good dish for hungry tummies! Made for Aus/NZ swap#33