1/1 Photo of Popeyes Bonafide Mild Chicken (Copycat)
13 hrs 10 mins
12 hrs 30 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My revised, reverse-engineered recipe for Popeyes' 'Bonafide' Mild Fried Chicken. PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour, eggs and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 pieces fresh frying chicken
- 2 tablespoons louisiana hot sauce (Louisiana brand)
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry buttermilk (SACO)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dill seed (not dill weed)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon fine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- beef tallow shortening
- 1RINSE chicken pieces and blot; PLACE chicken into a 9 x 13 baking dish; COAT chicken well with 2 tablespoons original Louisiana Hot Sauce, rubbing sauce well into skin of chicken.
- 2MEASURE the all of the SEASONING ingredients into a resealable plastic container; SEAL container and shake well to blend; FUNNEL mixture into an empty, clean salt shaker; SPRINKLE the SEASONING evenly and generously on every side of marinated chicken; RUB mixture well into chicken; ALLOW chicken to marinate in seasoning for at least 2 hours, refrigerated and sealed.
- 3BEAT 6 large eggs in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon fine salt, 1 teaspoon fine sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon Accent seasoning; WHISK mixture in bowl vigorously until smooth.
- 4ADD 3 cups all-purpose flour into a medium bowl for the DREDGING.
- 5PLACE a cooling rack over a baking sheet and set aside.
- 6REMOVE chicken from the marinating dish using tongs; (1) DIP chicken into the BATTER until evenly coated; (2) COAT the chicken well in the DREDGING flour; PLACE chicken onto the rack over baking sheet.
- 7REPEAT steps with remaining chicken pieces until all are battered and breaded (NOTE: IF THE FLOUR DREDGING BECOMES CLUMPY, SIFT IT THROUGH A SIEVE TO REMOVE CLUMPS BEFORE CONTINUING); ALLOW breaded chicken to rest at least 15 minutes to absorb the breading.
- 8ADD the manufacturer's recommended amount of deep-frying fat for deep-frying (100% beef tallow shortening or 70% Crisco Shortening with 30% Crisco Butter-Flavor Shortening); PLACE deep-fryer basket into place in deep-fryer; PREHEAT fryer to 315°F (or preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot between 315°F, using a standard deep-fryer thermometer to gauge).
- 9CAREFULLY lower each piece breaded chicken one at a time, into the deep-fryer basket without crowding (if a standard size home fryer is used, add no more than 2-3 pieces at a time); (if stovetop frying, gently place breaded chicken pieces into hot oil using tongs, turning once halfway through frying duration); FRY for 10 minutes; RAISE frying temperature to 375°F ; CONTINUE frying at the higher temperature for 5 minutes (return frying oil temperature to 315°F for each new batch).
- 10BLOT chicken lightly to drain; TRANSFER rack over a baking sheet and keep chicken warmed in a preheated 170°F oven until serving; SERVE and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Popeyes Bonafide Mild Chicken (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.4
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 279.3 mg
- Sodium 2043.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 20.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: