Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes that I make every Christmas. Last year I made this recipe seven times. Gave some as gifts to my friends. My husband loves it. According to him, I don't make it enough. Enjoy!
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup blanched almond
- 8 -10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (no substitute)
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup (white)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon rum or 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Spread nuts on a cookie sheet and toast lightly, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool Mix with popcorn in a large buttered bowl.
- Combine sugar, butter, corn syrup, and cream of tartar in a heavy saucepan.
- Boil for 5 minutes, or until mixture reaches hard ball stage (forms a hard ball when dropped into cold water).
- Remove from heat, stir in baking soda and flavoring.
- Pour over popcorn mixture.
- Mix with a large spatula to coat popcorn and nuts.
- Turn out on a large buttered cookie sheet and press lightly.
- Cool until hard, break into pieces.
this is an awesome poppycock recipe. i doubled it and my family went through it like wildfire! even out of the freezer where i tried to hide it. i will make it again but definitely a little closer to christmas. thanks for sharing!!