Recipe by Dib's
If you like Poppycock, you will love this recipe! This is a great gift basket idea for Christmas or just family snacking.
Top Review by cookingofjoy
This was so good!!! I did not add the nuts (kid's preference), but I can imagine pecans or cashews would be fantastic. I'd never made my own caramel popcorn before, and this was easier than I'd imagined. It coated really well - stirring midway through was important. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 16 cups popped popcorn
- salt, lightly
- 2 -3 cups pecan halves (or cashews, peanuts...)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan mix together the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Heat to boiling.
- Boil for 5 minutes stirring OFTEN.
- Remove from heat.
- While stirring add the cream of tartar and baking soda as it will foam up.
- Stir in the almond or vanilla extract.
- Place popcorn and nuts on a cookie sheet.
- Pour the sugar mixture over and mix well, coating each piece.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool and break apart.