Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry. Popcorn shrimp and avocado on sushi rice which is seasoned with lemon juice instead of rice vinegar. For sauce, Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, soy suce and parmesan cheese. Easy to make because this is like a Scop Sushi. No need to shape or roll up.
- 1 cup sushi rice, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, cooked and without tail
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 avocado
- 1⁄4 cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
- 1. Rinse the sushi rice several times in running water until water gets clear. Drain in a colander. Cook in a saucepan with a lid or rice cooker according to package directions.
- 2. While rice is cooking, make popcorn shrimp. Clean shrimp with running water, drain completely and sprinkle all-purpose flour (not listed) lightly. In a bowl, combine all-purpose flour, egg, milk and mayonnaise. Mix well. Dip each shrimp in the batter and coat with bread crumbs.
- 3. In a skillet, heat canola oil and deep-fry shrimp until golden browned and crisp. (350 degrees F) Drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- 4. Make sauce for sushi rice. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- 5. When the rice is done, transfer to the medium bowl. Add the sauce for sushi and mix gently. Don’t stir too much. Let cool.
- 6. Make sauce for topping. In a bowl, combine ranch dressing, soy sauce and parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- 7. Halve avocado, remove seed and slice each halved avocado thinly.
- 8. Place the sushi rice into 8x8 clear baking dish. Spread about 2/3 of ranch dressing sauce, arrange sliced avocadoes and put popcorn shrimp. Spread the rest of sauce on top.