Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
People raise their eyebrows when I tell them I am serving popcorn salad! They think I am kidding. One of the surprising things about this salad is that the popcorn doesn't get soggy if you happen to have some left over for the next day. Try this--bet you will like it! It is hardy enough to serve as salad lunch along with crusty bread or crackers.
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced thinly on diagnonal
- 1⁄2 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced with some of tops included
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, halved
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup ripe olives, drained
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 head lettuce, shredded and added later
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package microwave popcorn, popped and added immediately after popping (just before ready to serve)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- Combine celery, radishes, onion, water chestnuts, bacon and chives in large bowl and mix well.
- Set aside.
- When ready to serve, add lettuce; pop popcorn and add immediately to the vegetables along with cheese and mayonnaise.
- Toss until mayonnaise is evenly distributed.
this was a delight to make and to serve to "surprised" guest ! i used real bacon pieces instead of fried bacon. also, i used mixed lettuce with swish chard greens (which gave it a nice color scheme. the left over salad was as good a "new" later in the day ! patsy