Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
These sweet and chewy popcorn balls are a "hoot".
Make and share this Popcorn Owls recipe from Food.com.
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon marshmallow creme
- 20 candy corn
- 20 candy orange slices
- 10 miniature M&M baking bits
- shoestring black licorice
- Place popcorn in a large bowl; keep warm in a 200 F oven. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 250 F (hard-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vinegar until butter is melted. Immediately pour over popcorn; toss to coat.
- When mixture is cool enough to handle, quickly shape into five 3-1/4-in. balls and five 4-in. balls, dipping hands in cold water to prevent sticking. Flatten bottom of popcorn balls slightly for stability. Place a small ball on top of a large ball, forming the owl’s head and body.
- Immediately decorate owl, using marshmallow creme to attach candies. Add candy corn for claws. Press the orange slices into sides for wings. Flatten and cut additional orange slices to make triangle ears and nose and 3/4-in. circular eyes. Press M&M’s into orange circles to complete the eyes. Add a 3-in. licorice strip above eyes.
I made these today and although I have lousy craft skills they tasted great. Guess I will have to keep practicing.