Recipe by mailbelle
This is so different from your traditional "cake." It's like a snack mix made into a cake! Uses popped popcorn, M&Ms, caramels and peanuts. This recipe was titled Patriotic Popcorn Cake because it used red, white and blue M&Ms, but there are so many other possibilities! Use pastel M&Ms to make an Easter cake, red and green M&Ms for a Christmas cake, all pink or all blue M&Ms for a baby shower cake, assorted colors for a circus theme...you get the picture!
Top Review by Lady Morrgian
Turned out beautiful and tasted amazing. Now I did do one thing different, but I doubt it changed much. Instead of the caramels I used a bag of caramel balls, same thing really just pellet sized for melting faster and no need to unwrap. I used a whole bag and I found them next to the morsels in the baking aisle.
- 1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
- 20 caramels
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 1⁄2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 cup M&M's plain chocolate candy
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the popped popcorn in a large bowl or roasting pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the marshmallows, caramels and butter. Heat on low until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn and mix well.
- Working quickly so that it doesn't harden too fast, stir in peanuts and M&Ms.
- Press into a well-greased 10-inch tube pan. Cool until firm.
- Remove from pan and cut with a serrated knife.