Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a very old recipe my mother always used.
- 236.59 ml white sugar
- 78.07 ml light corn syrup
- 59.14 ml margarine
- 78.07 ml water
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1892.0 ml popped popcorn
- Keep popcorn warm in 250 degree oven.
- Cook first five ingredients over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking without stirring until mixture reaches 270 degrees on a candy thermometer or until a small amount dropped into very cold water separates into hard threads.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour mixture over popped corn, mixing with a fork.
- When cool enough to handle but still quite warm, form into balls.
Eating this as a replacement for biting my nails.
Perfect popcorn balls! Came together very easily, even without a candy thermometer. I had too much popcorn, so I added a large handful of mini-marshmallows as the syrup was heating. Nice consistency, not too hard and not falling apart. You have to be careful not to ball up any un-popped kernels, it would be easy to break a tooth.