Recipe by Teresa M
My mom has made these popcorn balls at Halloween for 40 years. The kids she gave them to then now bring their kids. 4 years ago one brought her grandson and took a picture of him getting a popcorn ball from her. Note: Cook time Is 3 1/2 minutes, even though I put 4 minutes because the "cook time" wouldn't accept the 3 1/2 minutes.
Top Review by lisaaanders
Great recipe. I used my fondue pot to heat the sugars to avoid burning... easiest popcorn balls I've ever made and yummy. We make them every year so that is saying a lot! Thank you! This recipe goes in my favorites for Christmas too!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white syrup
- 1⁄4 cup good molasses ("Good" molasses to me means that to taste them with a spoon that they have a good flavor))
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 gallons air-popped popcorn
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook above ingredients (except popcorn) over medium heat for 3-1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour over popcorn.
- Mix with a spoon and start shaping into balls at once.
- Have a small pan of cold water close by so you can dip your hands in it if your hands get too hot.
- This recipe works BEST when you have a "helper" to help you make the popcorn balls while the syrup mixture is still easy to work with, and is much more fun doing with a helper.
- Last, but not least, make "extra", as if you're doing these to give away, you "are" going to want to keep some for you and yours to eat... ;)