Recipe by College Girl
I love Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. I was watching the Northwest episode and the Gypsy dining group came up with a fabulous dessert that engulfed all of the senses. Seeing as how I am in no way going to do this dessert justice, I just wanted to quote what Gypsy described it as: "The second dessert was a lime cheesecake mousse set over the top of an “aural” crust. Strawberry pop rocks were implanted into the graham cracker crust for a surprising aural firework display with every bite. The dish was accompanied by strawberry sorbet over a salad of black pepper and strawberries, a strawberry sauce, and a fresh grating of lime zest." I have researched the lime mousse techniques and i have just run out of patience on how to keep the rocks from popping before the cake is consumed. So it's basically, no bake, low heat, keep it cool. I cannot come close to coming up with the black pepper and strawberries concoction so i am going to make my cop out, easy version. It might not be completely gourmet, but it is still poppin'. **I plan on revisiting this to make a diet friendly version.
Top Review by LilPinkieJ
I don't know what I did wrong, but this did not work out for me. The crust was a little weird for us. I think maybe we are too grownup for poprocks, which makes me a little sad. We didn't like the topping much either. I do like the addition of the pecan sandies cookies. I will try this again. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag. Thanks. :)
- 3⁄4 cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup pecan sandies
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 (1 ounce) packets strawberry soda pop rocks candy
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix together crushed cookies and graham crackers with melted butter and the 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Wait, a little bit for the butter to cool down and then combine the pop rocks gently into the crushed mixture.
- Press into a 7 inch spring-form pan. Place in refrigerator until ready for use.
- In another bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/3 cup of sugar and lemon juice.
- Whip cream, and fold into cream cheese mixture.
- Spread into pan.
- Top with sliced strawberries (optional). Freeze for 1 hour, covered with foil.
- Place in refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with lime zest before serving.