Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Like the title says, this is my dad's chili recipe for a crowd.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups cooked kidney beans (about 2 cans, drained and rinsed)
- 3 cups tomato sauce (3 8 oz. cans)
- Heat oil in small dutch oven and saute onion, garlic and meat until meat is no longer pink.
- Drain any fat from the pan.
- Add seasonings, then beans and tomato sauce.
- Cook on low (simmering) about 1/2 hour.
- Serve with grated cheese for topping.
This is so simple to make. I use my Le Cruset dutch oven, and it comes out beautiful. We started with the original recipe, to the tee, but through many times of making it and having to accommodate what's in the pantry, I've used Italian stewed tomatoes as a substitute for the tomato sauce. The chunky tomatoes really adds to it. But it also perfect just as is. Thanks so much for the great recipe!