Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Easy and Yummy...though a bit odd sounding when you read the recipe. I haven't made it in years, so the times are estimated. But I remember it being pretty quick to make besides the chilling. Chilling time is included in prep time.
- saltine crackers, unsalted tops, enough to cover a cookie sheet
- 12 ounces chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped, opptional
- Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, then line with crackers.
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat until it reaches hard ball texture - 250*F on a candy thermomator OR if you don't have one when a small amount is dripped into chilled water a ball is formed that is rigid but still pliable.
- Pour the mixture over crackers and put in the oven until bubblely (about 5 minutes).
- Take out and sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers and candy then return to oven until the chocolate chips melt a little (2 - 5 min).
- Remove from oven again and spread chocolate evenly around, sprinkle with walnuts if you wish.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 1/2 to 2 hours then peel off foil and break or cut into pieces.
This is actually amazing! DH wouldn't eat it when he saw that it had a cracker on the bottom. Too bad as that leaves more for me. :) Jodi, this is absolutely yummy! Was worried about using salted butter, but it was not a problem. Used only one stick with the brown sugar and it worked just fine on one sleeve (1/4 pound or 115 g) of saltines. Topped it with 60% Ghiardelli's chips. Thank you for posting this keeper that only took about twenty minutes to make (without chilling time. After all, who could wait?)