Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of those recipes that you usually have the ingredients on hand. Very good for drop in company prepared to serve with a salad and crusty bread. I noticed you only had one recipe of this title. This recipe calls for more ingredients than that one. A friend gave me this recipe in 1987. He stated that the first time he entertained the woman who would become his wife, this is what he prepared. Romantic!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 8 ounces egg noodles, boiled and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 -8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth (or 1 bullion cube dissolved in 1 cup hot water)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook and drain the noodles and place is butter 9x13" casserole.
- saute onion and mushrooms in the butter or margarine, remove from skillet and brown the ground beef. Drain beef and return to pan with onions and mushrooms. add tomato sauce and beef broth and simmer to reduce somewhat. Sprinkle in the flour and blend. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer about 10 minutes while shredding cheese. Fold in the sour cream and pour mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
This was an easy to assemble and delicious recipe, will make it again. Good comfort food on a cold day!