Recipe by brithebaker
Ok, well, it's not really a tangine but it is a slow cooked dish! It's my variation on LadyPit's brown rice and lentil casserole. However, since it is significantly different and vegan to boot, I thought that it would be good to post. In the winter, if you use canned tomatoes, use the juice from the can to replace some of the water for extra tastiness.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
I served this over spinach and really enjoyed it. It was very easy to make too. I made it a few hours ahead and then just put into the oven a few hours later. Thanks for the recipe.
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 3⁄4 cup diced tomato
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thick rounds
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried celery flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a baking dish (I use a pyrex mixing bowl) and cover with foil.
- Bake covered for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Let sit covered for at least 15 minutes before eating. Even better the next day, after the flavors have developed a bit more.